It's so depressing to read about Reconstruction. Obviously in a less personal manner, it's akin to an email from my dad about how nutto my mom was when they were together.
In the Senate, the bill to enlarge the Freedmen’s Bureau was passed, 37 to 10. The bill provides: 1st. That the Freedmen’s Bureau shall be maintained, giving the President power to divide the section of country included within the provision of the bill into twelve districts;
Like nobody there saw this and thought HFS this is the federal government carving up people and their lands, like Poland was done 80 years ago. Or Africar a few years later. I know, there are huge differences, one being that Poles aren't really people to begin with.
Oh right. Because every man who did think that was either dead, or silenced for having spoken up a few years ago.
3d. That the Secretary of War may issue supplies, medical stores, etc., and may provide for the shelter of freedmen and refugees;
Why the Secretary of War? Because there was no department of Health and Human Services yet.
6th. That schools and asylums shall be built for the freedmen at the expense of Government
Someone get Horace Mann a cigarette. Oh wait, he was already dead. Oh wait but what a wonderful tangent that brings me to anyway. It's Saturday, no one's comin' over.
His only means for gratifying his eager desire for books was the small library founded in his native town by Benjamin Franklin and consisting principally of histories and treatises on theology.
say it with me now: AWWWWWWWWWW. No p0rnz.
He graduated as valedictorian of his class from Brown University in 1819. He then studied law for a short time at Wrentham, Massachusetts; was a tutor of Latin and Greek (1820-1822) and a librarian (1821-1823) at Brown University; studied during 1821-1823 at Litchfield Law School (the famous law school conducted by Judge James Gould in Litchfield, Connecticut); and in 1823, was admitted to the Norfolk, Massachusetts, bar.
Sounds like he did fine, having only Benjamin Franklin's library at his disposal. How did he live.
I don't trust any of these politicians coming out of Massachusetts.
From what I learned in spring quarter, the Early Republic class, was that when the Treasury hit a surplus and the federal/national debt was paid off, that moneys went back to the individual states "since it was their money." [ No, it wasn't brought up that it was the moneys of the individual peoples; that if today California would get the money that CA residents paid in taxes back as refund...might as well just send it back to Washington since not only would I not see a cent of what I was extorted out of back, but I'd rather not have to witness the smugness of the politicians unveiling what they're going to use it for. When I get mugged by someone in the street, at least the mugger runs away, I probably won't have to go with him to the liquor store and watch him buy cigs with my moneys. ]
So it was the state's money, or at least that what we all told ourselves, and with that money, schools were built, some famous school for mental handicaps or deaf or something. Taking into consideration the fact that's about as good as it was going to get, I'm fine with that.
But this thing in Massachusetts; that Mann was a state representative and such...don't sound no good.
|