Oh what oh what was I to do today between 10AM and 11AM, my precious special hour in between my two unplanned Medieval history classes. I'd slept in an extra hour this morning so didn't have time to make coffee, no matter since paying attention to lecture is enough to keep me awake the first class. But by the second class though if I don't eat anything or drink anything caffeinated and or sugared I'mma get all whiggy and unable to pay attention in that 11AM class and just think about food and how really incomprehensible the instructor is.
But I can't go on campus to eat anywhere. The campus commons thought up the great idea that, hey since everyone almost everyone is on campus between about 10AM and 2PM, to not open any non-breakfasty food stuffs until 10:30 and close everything at 3PM. Plus the commons food area is new, so there's plenty of mouth breathers bouncing around taking up space (for all the renovation, the walking space is still hideously small) and standing around like business majors while the register is yelling at them for the next person in line. And it's packed.
Oh it's packed no duh. No duh that I stand in line for more than 2 minutes in such a crowded herd and I start thinking the logistics of mass sudden panic or hysteria were someone to really actually Whig out or something. So buying a peanut-butter sandwich for $2 and 12 minutes isn't an option.
I know I'll walk down the street to the "University Village" (lolz how original and quaint!) and get Starbucks-not only are there no alternatives here but the UV has TWO Starbuckses. So the plan becomes to walk quickly, get coffee, sit down somewhere and drink, read for a couple minutes, then walk quickly back.
Noooo problem and at like, 1035 I get paranoid and start walking back. I don't know what it's called, but the freeway goes right over the street and walking under the freeway pass (overpass?) is the only thing separating me from the very edges of campus.
As I cross the street (where cars turn right to enter the freeway) I notice that standing in the middle of the one thru-lane is a construction worker holding a stop sign in front of a car. Hmmmmmmm. Guy tells me and the fourish other pedestrians that we have to wait at the curb because of construction.
And of course there's a middle-aged man who tries to go anyway, looking very important. When the construction worker says Again "You have to wait at the curb they're moving a beam on the freeway" out comes the cell phone. Two fly Azns, one on a razor scooter and one on a skateboard, move right in front of where I'm standing so that if I want to see the construction I have to be the jerk and move to the side even though I have no problem with just standing still. The fourth person was a girl who stood near me.
A couple more sets of people coming from the UV join us. Two more cars move forward and get stuck behind the first car. Worker starts waving his arm at the two cars to just move the other way, get on the freeway or whatever. The farthest car...is talking on the cellphone and doesn't move. Worker also has to yell at us each time a group tries to move forward.
Him: You have to wait here at the curb. Construction.
Dumbass: But I have claaaaaaaaaaass!
Him: I have work. So?
Dumbasses best friend: You should just go anyway.
Dumbass: Yeah I know, huh. *stands still*
It kinda just repeats like this over a couple more sets of people. Oh my Goooood mister construction worker I have classssss! Don't you know I go to the University of California??? I can't be laaaaaaaaate to Genderism in Early America! If the instructor takes attendance (although now that I think about it womyn studies classes are uber fascist about attendance), even though most classes here are lax about EVERYTHING, and even though everyone knows there's bigass construction going on along the street, if I show up late to class from this the teacher will FAIL me for the course.
I'm surprised no one said "You suck."
Oh yeah, 'member how I said there was only One lane going through the intersection? Some genius in his Bro-Mobile decided since there was only one lane the construction worker was standing with a stop sign, that if he can just outmaneuver him...
So the worker got to yell at him. "What you didn't see the STOP sign I'm holding? Think I'm gonna let you through instead?" He didn't say this until after the Bro-Mobile started honking at him.
The girl behind me was joined by a boyfriend type guy.
Boyfriend: Gah, why don't they like, have robots like, do this shit and stuff? They'd be so much better.
Girl: I knoooooow. 'Cause like...these guys are stupid.
You bitch! He's at work! Fuck you!
Even more awesome about that was that as I was leaving to go back (I had to leave the children, hoping perhaps that they'd all get abducted or something) I saw another student almost get hit by a car because suddenly the concept of "green light means cars are going somewhere lolz" was too freaking hard because of the trauma of having to stand around for *checks phone for when I called Catholic to tell him about it*...not even nine minutes. Even less for the girl that almost got hit I'm assuming.
By the time I was on the phone, they were all allowed to cross. As I passed, the construction worker who wasn't holding up traffic anymore was lighting up a cigarette.
Even with backtracking a couple minutes I still got to class on time.
10.15.2007
College Is So Important
Yo Soy
Joss Fritz
at
15.10.07
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)
|