I want the Foner to come in already. It was suggested reading by the Civil War professor (first class itself is tomorrow) and because he didn't advise me on what to read over the summer, I guessed good and already read 'bout half of it back in July.
Only 'bout half 'cause all the nonstop quotes proving how much the South was looked down on by the North "oooh for them to civilize, we'd have to bring tools and and like, like show these poor stupid ignorant evil Southern souls how to work them" got kinda old.
Uh yeah but twenty years later the assimilationist-"civiliationist" manner of uplifting freed blacks and now currently just blacks in general...oh yeah that was no good because it assumed that the white Protestant norms of behavior and work ethic was better than theirs.
Idunno what pisses me off more; that I can still remember that argument against the Booker Ts, or that I still ended up failing that class.
I got nothing against Foner himself, most of that book was quotes, long extensive quotes. Such as the "Slave Power/Terrorism" quote I put up here a couple weeks ago. He just strings them along.
What will make me laugh, laaaaugh as if I were a fat man with a huge belley, will be when the CW instructor tells us that the war was basically about slavery; I'll start smoking if he points to South Carolina's secession statement as proof. At the end of Remini's Andrew Jackson and the Bank War he lists where the federal government's surplus came from.
The surplus came from four things: the lack of a national debt, the tariff revenues, land sale revenues, and the general prosperity of the nation.
Hmm okay now only land sale revenues makes sense. I don't get how lacking national debt causes a surplus, and not just prevents debt. I guess it's like Calvinism; I see it but don't. Land sale revenues, that's cool, Clay's plan for sales to be hiked up for his American System wasn't implemented, so I can assume that it was just a bunch of people buying land and then the "sales tax" or whatever...
General Prosperity sounds like ... sounds like nothing. General prosperity only means that .... oh wait it means nothing. Unless income is more than spending, there will be no surplus. iiiis that what happened? Did spending decrease? How? Who was responsible for that? When did this spending get back on? awww wait I forgot government spending isn't "spending money" it's people doing good things. Yaaaay!
And then the tariff. That's uh...that's great. That's really great. Thank you, states that had to pay out the ass.
|