11.09.2006

Oh. Oh. Just Oh.

"...I fear we shall find that popular elections are not oftener determined, upon pure Principles of Merit, Virtue, and public Spirit, than the Nominations of a Court, if we don't take Care. I fear there is an infinity of Corruption in our Elections already crept in. All kinds of Favour, Intrigue, and Partiality in Elections are as real, Corruption in my Mind, as Treats and Bribes. A popular government is the worse curse, to which human Nature can be devoted when it is thoroughly corrupted. Despostism is better...we are sowing the Seeds of Ignorance, Corruption, and Injustice, in the fairest Field of Liberty, that ever appeared upon Earth, even in the first Attempts to cultivate it."

-John Adams to Joseph Hawley, 8/25/1776.


Time of the badasses. Found in one of my Revolutionary America class books, the readings for which I haven't been to in weeks.

And now, I am off to the girl-instructor's remaining lecture about how the revolution changed but didn't really change the role and limitation of women.

Talking about men is hard! Cause they're like, looking at our chest and stuff.