10.03.2006

Because Cigarettes Make the Best Tea

It's a pdf.

Bellflower, CA (PRWEB) September 18, 2006 -- Proposition 86 will amend the California Constitution to expand the California Healthy Families Program to include undocumented immigrant children under 19 years of age who are from families with incomes up to 300 percent of the federal poverty level. Currently, children in Healthy Families must meet citizenship or immigration requirements to receive health, dental and vision coverage. The proponents claim that this expansion will be paid by a $2.60 tax increase in a pack of cigarettes.


Oh. So that's what the big deal is with that the guy posted on the door to the liquor store down the street, holding up a long receipt from a 10-key.

Do I like calling the state I live in Mexifornia? No. As an American, as (more central to me) someone who was raised not just financially poor, but...*rolls eyes, 'cause that's not my place to assert any such thing* but someone who's had to earn what I have or *finger quotes* had things stacked against me...had to do things the hard way, whatever you want to call it, I have no problem saying that I'm appallingly insulted to see others not have to follow laws.

This irk applies to those who some people who break immigration laws to get here.

Some. What matters to me is what they do once they get here. (I almost typed "why they came," but who seriously would say they came to America so they can get on welfare with their five kids, or deal drugs in local neighborhoods.)

Do they work their ass off, getting screwed out of higher wages because minimum wage laws make other jobs practically at "English-speakers only need apply"? *Hint: No law dictating wages=no legal jurisdiction to snoop around in employee files, para uno. Or as Maddox says so much better...* Then gosh but isn't it terrible to see someone get poorly paid, not because their work yields poor benefit to their employer, but because of something as stupid as a price floor on other people are demonstrably not worth their wages.


Is that because I really love laws, or is it just sour grapes because I don't/never have the guts to not obey?

Doesn't matter because a state full of people voters feel the same way 'cause ain't no one got no crystal stair, and O, if only a man were to be elected to office who would right the wrongs of our own past cowardice for us.

...and of course here is where you all breathe a sigh of relief because you just now find out that I refuse to vote. So all you political mercantilists get one less vote cancelling yours out.

Where was I? Oh yeah. I started out with having just Googled Art Olivier to see his...I don't know what. If there were anything other than immigration he was running on.

But damn if Depeche Mode music videos aren't incredibly distracting.