3.17.2008

Like I Tried To Post On Earlier

I was thinking while I was scrubbing the inside of the tub.

consent of the governed.

Those governed...must give consent.

omg I never signed a social contract lolz...yeah you're hardcore. neat.

Anyway...those governed have to give consent. If they don't, the laws are bullshit. The authority is usurped and...invalid. It's not authority by law, but by force.

This I think is the idea or lingering concept from the American Revolution that best justifies secession in December 1860. Despite the awesomely smart move of splitting the Democratic Party ticket three ways, the South did not consent to living under a Republican administration. So far I don't think the reasoning is nearly as...grounded in genuine issues as Richard Wright defacing a ballot he was working/fixing on with "I protest this fraud" when he was young but...whatever. Not my bag. They did not consent so they Finally went through with it and seceded.

They were not allowed to do that. "consent of the governed" somewhere was bastardized into, well...

whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it blah blah
The right to abolish was demonstrably taken out. This form of government is destructive to the ends [securing the rights of life liberty blah blah] well then you have to work within the form of government...which is destructive to the ends. That way you have ordinary southerners not involved in politics defending the CSA, since yeah the politicians are dumbashell-- exempli gratia, the 1860 Democratic ticket(s).

Vote Ron Paul! Hell, vote Libertarian!

hahahahahahahaha...that was too much to resist. Anyway back to my program...

And I know I'm doing the thing I get annoyed at others doing...quoting the Declaration of Independence as if it means a damn thing today. But it's part of the Revolutionary period...I think there's some court case ruling from about ten years before '76 that would count for me as perhaps the beginning of that period. Gosh. Had to do with jury nullification, it was pretty awesome. The only class I didn't buy the books for. Oh-pression. So...far as I know, the Constitution and Bill of Rights are the end of that. oooh maybe the Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions too, but I'd have to read them.

"derives their just powers from the consent of the governed."

Who is governed? What is that.

Old enough to die for my country, but not old enough to buy a beer?

That's not everyone since children do not give consent to their parents (sorry to get all Molyneaux on y'all)...

*giggle*

but the state does.

But that's beside the point. Children are governed by their parents and indirectly, the state; di-rectly and tragicaly if they're wards of the court and not applicable.

And I'm still in minarchy, Libertarian, the American situation. Not asking to be shown the copy of the Magna Carta that has my name on it.

Who is governed.

Everyone. The laws affect. Everyone.

It's probably against the law for me to use a short barstool instead of a computer chair for the next couple days until my computer chair comes in the mail. I probably broke a law or several when I changed out of my pants and gray t-shirt and scrubbed the inside of the tub wearing hoochie short-shorts and a white t-shirt.

One of...well almost the only thing I learned from the "Revolutionary America" class I took a year ago, aside from my latent talent for writing essays full of spectacularly feminist-based nonsense (all my jokes wherein I sarcastically say feminist stuff like "holding me responsible for my actions is sexist" aren't really that funny anymore so much as they are quick occasional glances at a black cloud I know I don't want to stand under anymore)...was that there was

or the dominant paradigm for looking at America at that time period with an eye for how women and The Other was treated was

spheres of influence. The men had their sphere, including public life, politics, and beating and/or raping their wives. Or not...the instructor did mention once that the neighborhood would likely look down on a man who treated his wife exceedingly poorly. Didn't make a huge deal out of this, but she did say it. Or the other wives would nag the hell out of their husbands to tell that one bad guy to cut the crap.

Which brings to the women's sphere. Basically, the household and everything involved in that. And yeah...everything. Dust IS dirt.

And that was it. Laws did not address or pertain to women because.....laws were Over Here, and women were Over There.

But nooooow. Women somehow took ... I guess saw abolitionists (even though they didn't free slaves on a large scale, thanks to King Lincoln and his predilection for government agents shooting people, funny thing that).

Ooooh oooooooooooooh all men are created equal really means all people and was not limited to the cultural and political context of the meaning of the word men such as it was at the time, but actually applies to humans like Garrison and his silly ass is saying? hmmmm I is people.

So women wanted to go Over There. And now we are.

Result? Stories like this. Exponentially. And that's just in podunk-California in the early 1980s, who know how screwed that guy would be if it happened today.

So...thank you very much, all you insecure women who took Abigail Adams' letters way out of context, it's been swell, but the swelling ain't going down.